Monday, September 21, 2009

Out and about - Upper Hutt

On 17 September, I took a trip once more out of Wellington "central", this time to visit library staff in Upper Hutt. As always, Wellington's topography provided me with some interesting weather conditions for the drive up (fog this time)!

My host for this visit was Debbie Duncan, who delighted me by immediately responding to my email asking if I could come to visit. Talking to the staff at the Upper Hutt Public Library, I explained how I came to be involved in LIANZA, what my role was as the regional councillor, and what LIANZA is currently up to. I also had a great informal chat over coffee with some of the library staff about professional registration. Barbara's column in Library Life came up again as we discussed the revalidation journal, and activities that can count towards it. The more I talk to people about revalidation, the more I realise the importance of talking about the process - it makes it much less scary, especially since we do activities all the time that can contribute to our journals.

I also had the privilege of taking a tour around the library and hearing about the programmes that the staff run. Even though it was just after opening time by this point, the library was filling up quickly with under-3's getting ready for story time, and I was staggered at the thought of getting 1000 people through the door every day.

My thanks to Debbie and the team for letting me come and speak. I continue to get heaps out of these visits, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

** Would you like me to come and visit your region or library? Please email me. **

No comments: